Ajman University attracts top-tier faculty talent who are fully supported in their efforts to conduct high-quality research.
One of Ajman University’s key strategic goals is to enhance the quality, relevance and impact of research and intellectual contribution by faculty and students. AU’s commitment to research, scholarship, innovation and creative activity is reflected by providing appropriate physical, fiscal and human resources.
DGSR General Policies
- Ajman University considers research among the most important responsibilities of its faculty members. It encourages, facilitates, and supports all faculty members in their research activities in all disciplines.
- All AU faculty members (Assistant Professor and above) are expected, to conduct research and engage in scholarship as well as publish and share their research findings.
- Faculty members can conduct academic or practice-oriented research in their area(s) of specialization and participate in inter-disciplinary research. They can also conduct pedagogic research.
- The University expects high high quality research and scholarly contributions from each faculty member (Assistant Professor and above). The research and scholarly outputs may include, but not limited to, the following: (1) creative work and publications in refereed journals, book publication, book chapters and publications in conference proceedings, (2) Research project development, and internal and external research grants. Each faculty member (Assistant Professor and above) is expected to publish articles in a journal of high impact factor or high-quality category (such as A*, A, B, and C) or proceedings of prestigious research conferences. Such classification will be made by the CRC of each college and approved by the DGSR.
- The research performance of faculty (Assistant Professor and above) will be a key factor in their annual evaluation as well as for their promotion to a higher rank.
- College Deans, in coordination with the DGSR, are responsible for developing and implementing a concrete research plan and a strategy aligned with AU strategic plan. In coordination with the CRCs, they shall define research objectives for their college and KPIs for measuring the achievement of these objectives.
- The DGSR shall provide grants for research projects and research travel grants on college-wide competitive basis in accordance with its policies for AU funded research grants.
- AU shall support and facilitate Collaborative Research conducted in cooperation with public and private institutions and industry.
- The University, through the DGSR, shall provide assistance to faculty members for obtaining research grants from external sources in accordance with its policies for externally funded research grants.
- Researchers shall follow the highest ethical standards in all aspects of their research work. They shall also abide by the applicable confidential requirements set by AU.
- Researchers shall abide by the University policies on Intellectual Property Rights.
- In some special cases, the teaching load of an outstanding researcher may be reduced with the approval of the College Dean and the Vice-Chancellor for Academic Affairs (VCAA).
- The College Deans shall submit an annual report on research accomplishments to the DGSR and the Office of Institutional Planning and Effectiveness (OIPE) at the end of academic year. They shall also submit to DGSR a plan regarding proposed research projects for the next academic year.
- The DGSR shall form a Research Ethics Committee (REC), at the University level, with well-defined role and objectives.
- The REC ensures that research work involving human or animal objects follows specified national and international standards and guidelines.
- Outstanding researchers will be recognized and rewarded by the University.
- AU will not tolerate research misconduct including fabrication, falsification or plagiarism in carrying out research or publishing its results.
- The VCAA shall decide on all cases not provided for in this document.
DGSR General Procedures
- The DGSR, in collaboration with College Research Committees, will take all necessary actions to promote research at AU including internally- and externally-funded research. These actions include development and implementation of procedures for internally- funded research projects, mechanisms for projects evaluation and payment of compensation to researchers for externally-funded projects, establishing and maintaining contacts with external funding sources, spreading awareness among all faculty members about research funding opportunities, providing administrative support to faculty members for obtaining external funds, and continual follow-up of research projects, etc.
- The DGSR shall develop a systematic procedure for rewarding outstanding researchers at AU on a yearly basis.
- Each College Dean, in consultation with the College Research Committee (CRC), will submit research projects planned for the following academic year and accordingly propose the required research budget.
- The DGSR will hold workshops/seminars to spread awareness about research policies and procedures as well as research funding opportunities.
- All support departments, including HR and Finance, shall be made aware of the new policies, especially those involving full time Research Assistants. They shall also be directed to provide full support for promoting research at the University.