Full Time Research Assistants for Research Groups
- Each Dean, in consultation with its College Research Committee (CRC) and College Council shall define areas that will be the major focus of developing research expertise for the college.
- The University will provide financial support to hire Full-Time Research Assistants (FTRA) for up to 2 research assistants/college.
- Each college shall have research group(s) headed by a Head of Research Group.
- The FTRA shall work in the domain of his/her research under the supervision of his/her appointed supervisor or head of the research group.
Guidelines for the Selection of Full Time RA
- The University shall invite applications for full time Research Assistant positions through its website, English and Arabic newspapers, and other publications. The Deans or HODs can also contact their outstanding graduates with strong potential for research to apply for full time RA positions. Similarly they can use their networking to invite outstanding graduates from UAE or abroad.
- The head of CRC manage the hiring process of the full time Research Assistants in each college, in consultation with the head of research group and the college dean. The CRC head makes sure that the hiring process must be done in a fair and transparent manner, and the RA’s must be appointed for the research groups in the college.
- Head of CRC, in consultation with the head of research group, will provide full time RA job specifications to the College Dean. College Dean shall form a Selection Committee to review the applications, interview the short-listed candidates and recommend top two candidates to the Dean, using Full Time Research Assistants Selection Form. The selection committee should include head of CRC and the head of research group as member of selection panel.
- The College Dean shall inform the selected candidates about their acceptance as full time RAs. The College Dean shall also inform the HR Department to initiate the process of hiring them as Full Time Research Assistants and accordingly inform DGSR.
- The College Dean shall explicitly define the expected outcomes from the Research Groups and the responsibility of the Research Group and the Research Assistant, to achieve the specified outcomes.
The Deanship of Graduate Studies and Research has initiated and financially supported the formation of two research groups in each college of the University. The objective is to develop two research areas of expertise in each college that can later compete for external funding at local, regional, and international levels. Each research group is supported by a full-time research assistant and these research groups can obtain funds from the Deanship of Graduate Studies and Research for their research projects.
List of AU Internal Research Grant Projects 2017-18