The science of Sociology and Social Service is the most important knowledge field relating to human life and its activities. That is because understanding and solving phenomena and problems arising from human gatherings and social institutions form the essence of this science. People involved in social research and social service can effectively participate in understanding the social problems scientifically and find solutions for them.
then the introduction of this program is necessary to meet the actual needs of the country development, the job market demands, society needs, and keeping in touch with different social sectors. That is in order to show a keen interest in the Emirates society’s genuine values, keep its heritage alive in the present, study its important problems and suggest scientific solutions for them. The role of the program does not only focus on the problems related the job market needs but also it has a basic role in meeting the cultural needs of society. The latter are considered the program’s educational and research fields in order to give prominence to the Emirati genuine identity and heritage
The sociology and social work program has been designed to be taught in Arabic language in Ajman and Fujairah campuses in order to provide students with the required skills to solve problems effectively in different social and organizational environments, to come up with competent specialists with genuine knowledge, and to integrate the theoretical and intellectual frameworks with the society goals and aspirations.
- Defining the theoretical foundations of sociology and social work in order to be able to understand the fundamentals and principles of this science as well as its methods.
- Identifying models of sociology, social work areas and the role of the researcher and social worker in those areas and the nature of work.
- Preparing and qualifying leaders in social work to work in various social institutions, social welfare and work in the field of designing and implementing the policies of social welfare and social research.
- Training students to diagnose and solve social problems through critical thinking.
- Developing the spirit of scientific research and proficiency in writing research papers in the field of sociology and social service in which the methodology of scientific research is clear.
(A) Knowledge and understanding
- Knowing the different circumstances that contributed to the emergence of sociology and social work
- Understanding the branches and fields of sociology and social work
- Understanding the interactive relationship between social and behavioral sciences, and between sociology and social work
- Understanding the theoretical and methodological foundations of sociology and social work.
(B) Thinking skills
- Analyzing patterns of human behavior and their interaction with the social environment
- Analyzing social problems and phenomena and proposing solutions.
- Being able to design and implement policies of social welfare and social research.
- Being ability to think critically and creatively in providing solutions appropriate to the problems
(C) Professional and applied skills:
- Designing and planning of the treatment of individual problems
- Interacting with team work
- Conducting field research
- Using databases
- Being able to write scientific research and research papers in the field of sociology and social work
(D) General and changeable skills
- Being able to work in various social institutions and social welfare
- Possessing the skill in communication and persuasion
- Building a skill in forming social relations with others
- Possessing a skill in measurement and experimentation
- Applying modern techniques in the practice of social work
- Managing the administrative skills related to time management, meeting management and management of government and private institutions.
The student must have a high school diploma from the UAE (scientific or literary) or an equivalent of at least 60% in the first year of admission, and goes up to 65% for the following batches. In case the number of applicants is high, the applicants with higher aggregate will be chosen.
To obtain a bachelor's degree in the specialization of sociology and social work, the student’s GPA should not be less than 2, i.e. 60%. The minimum duration of the study is three and a half years, the maximum duration is eight years, and they should pass 126 credit hours.
- Community Police
- Ministry of Social Affairs
- Care Centers for the Disabled
- Mother and Child Centers
- All schools of the Ministry of Education
- Community Development Authority
- Juvenile Care Centers
- Punitive and Correctional Institutions
- Centers of Social Welfare
- Nursing Homes